German city on the left bank of 'Lausitzer Neisse' river
Town in the Spree-Neisse-District (SPN)
in the Lower Lausitz in the Federal State of Brandenburg.
Polish city on the right bank of Nysa Luzycka river
Town in the Voivodship Lubuskie (Gorzów Wlkp.) near Ziemia Lubuska.
The decision during the Potsdam conference has the biggest impact on the town of all historic events:
The city is divided, and the major part with Gothic town hall, church and historic town centre becomes Polish, only the western suburbs on the westbank remain German. Suddenly a State Boundary is in the middle of the river.
After the end of the cold war and the eastern block, there are more and more cultural and political activities between the two cities. Slowly the Polish authorities start to rebuild fragments of the old town, often encouraged by foreign investors.
|Border crossing: Looking from German Guben to the Polish side across the river.|
|Historic view: The German-Polish border divides the city since 1945, before that date the Polish state boundary was 50 miles to the east from here. This photograph from 1940, who would have guessed the bridge would become a border check point only 5 years later?|
|View of Gubin: This used to be the town centre, near the staircase was the Theatre Hall.|
| In Gubin (PL)
Trunk road to the border crossing and German side.
ul. Obronców Pokoju
| in Guben (DE)
On our way to the Polish side (bordercrossing in the
|In Gubin (PL) Ruins of the church and the town-hall, where now green grass grows, once were two storey buildings, yet the historic heart of what used to be old-Guben is gone.|
|Historic view of Guben: Church and town hall and historic houses around the market. (see above for present situation)|
(c) Text and photos by BK November 2000
|back to the mainpage/ zurück zur Startseite / powrót do strony glównej|